I have been wanting to make a pushpin board for our kitchen/dining room for quite some time now. Since we have a stainless fridge, there has been nowhere in plain sight to place preschool notes, behavior charts, invitations, and all of those other important things we normally stick on our refrigerators.
I knew what I wanted, but I couldn't find it in stores or online. I decided to tackle the project myself. We had a nice 16 x 20 wooden frame not in use, so I started with that. I applied one coat of "green tea" acrylic paint. It was a little too much green against our light walls, so I decided to add a coat of "vintage white" acrylic on top of the green. I lightly sanded around the edges and sides. This was my first experience with distressing anything and I love the way it turned out. I then bought a package of cork board squares and glued them to the back panel of the frame. I cut some burlap to cover the cork and stapled it to the back. As an added touch, I used the same "green tea" acrylic to paint some magnetic clips we had sitting in a drawer. I stuck some plain flat metal thumbtacks in the board and put the magnetic clips on top of them. By using these, I won't put any ugly thumbtack holes in invitations or cards that I might like to keep. I am very happy with our new information center!
Now that I know I can do it, we have a garage full of sad furniture waiting for makeovers and I am ready to distress some more!
No comments:
Post a Comment